LearnPysanky.com > Ukrainian Recipes > Kartoplyanka (Potato Soup), Country Style
This recipe is by Maria Shatynski, from "Raising the Roof", a fundraising cookbook
for 2001 from St. George the Great Martyr Ukrainian Catholic Church in Oshawa, Ontario.
1 small onion, chopped
2 tbsp butter
2 medium potatoes, diced fine
1 small stalk celery, diced
1 cup shredded cabbage
chopped dill or parsley
4 cups soup stock
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp flour
salt and pepper
- Cook onion in butter until slightly wilted.
- Add vegetabes, soup stock, water and salt. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender.
- Blend flour with sour cream. Spoon some soup liquid into it, stir into soup and bring to a boil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with dill or parsley.
- This soup is usually served with rye bread.