LearnPysanky.com > Ukrainian Recipes > Pidpenyok - Mushrooms with Sour Cream
This recipe is by Mrs. Mary Best (Gashek), from "Hot off the Grill: Family Favourites", the Parish cookbook
for 2003 from Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Parish in Sydney (where my family comes from).
2 cups mushrooms
(wild type or cultivated)
¼ cup chopped onion
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup sour cream
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp fresh parsley (dried)
1 tbsp chopped dill, fresh if
in season (or dried)
The following is the most popular way of preparing either wild or cultivated mushrooms. Sour cream adds a delightful
flavor to this dish.
- Clean, wash, drain, slice mushrooms.
- In skillet pan sauté onion in butter, add chopped mushrooms, cook on medium heat
about 5 minutes.
- Blend the flour with some of the cream to make a smooth paste, stir in the remaining sour cream, add
to the mushrooms. Cook, stirring until mixture boils.
- Add garlic, spices, except dill, lower heat simmer for 5 minutes,
cover skillet with lid.
- When ready to serve stir in dill. This dish is good with Kasha, holubtsi or potatoes.