new? start here
supplies you'll need
the basic steps
help & more info
symbol & color meanings
where do I...?
find egg designs
list my workshop
pysanky coloring pages
original dye recipes
legends & traditions
of further interest
ann's rcm coins
peasant magic show
pysanky gift ideas
ann's gift shop
updated NOV 24 2017
Ukrainian Recipes: Baba's Old-Style Sauerkraut
Hot off the Grill: Family Favourites", the Parish cookbook for 2003 from Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Parish in Sydney (where my family comes from).
- Shred cabbage and onions together (10 to 1 ratio) and layer into plastic pail. Mix enough salt to start the curing process.
- Pack each layer using downward pressure (re: wooden stick) until ingredients extract some liquid juice. Add 1 or 2 bay leaves and 2 tbsp pickling spice wrapped in gauze or cheesecloth.
- Repeat steps one and two until pail is almost full.
- Cover cabbage firmly with cheesecloth. Place hardwood or plastic on top of cheesecloth. Place beach stone on top.
- Leave pail in warm area to ferment. Drain off juice once a week leaving enough juice to cover wood or plastic.
- Clean stone, cheesecloth, etc. once a week as mold will form as cabbage is curing.
- Taste each week for desired flavour (usually 3 to 4 weeks).
Back to Recipes
|top • home • sitemap • contact|
|site & designs created, maintained & copyright © 2018 by ann morash.|